Information to authors
Identification of resistance genes to yellow rust of asian origin in winter wheat varieties and lines
SUMMARY. Yellow rust caused by the fungus Puccinia striiformis West. (synonym – P. glumarum Erikss. et Henn.), is a dangerous factor that leads to significant shortages of soft wheat grain yield and deterioration of its quality. Recent studies indicate the expansion of highly virulent strains of yellow rust from the Prima Himalayan region and their displacement of less pathogenic European races of P. striiformis, which poses a real danger to the agricultural sector in Europe, including Ukraine, as most wheat varieties are resistant to local races of P. striiformis, are sensitive to highly virulent strains of this region. In this regard, the assessment of resistance to the yellow rust pathogen of 558 varieties and lines of winter soft wheat, in particular, on the infectious background – 171 and on the natural background – 387 were done. Samples of winter wheat in the collection came from 17 countries, but most of them were Ukrainian selection. As a result of screening of resistance of varieties and lines of winter wheat to yellow rust, it was found that only 19 (or 3 %) samples showed appropriate resistance. Analysis with molecular markers of the yellow rust-resistant wheat samples for the presence of the Yr10 and Yr36 genes did not reveal any sample containing at least one of these genes. At the same time, the results of screening using molecular markers Xbarc8, S23M41-310, S23M41-140, dp269 indicate the presence of DNA fragments of different lengths associated with alleles of resistance of the Yr5, Yr15 and YrSp genes in four cultivars of Ukrainian selection.
Tsitologiya i Genetika 2021, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 25-34
E-mail: cellbio cellbio.freenet.viaduk.net
1. Ali, S., Shah, S.J.A., Khalil, I.H., et al., Partial resistance to yellow rust in introduced winter wheat germplasm at the north of Pakistan, Aust. J. Crop Sci., 2009, vol. 3, pp. 37–43.
2. Ali, S., Rodriguez-Algaba, J., Thach, T., et al., Yellow rust epidemics worldwide were caused by pathogen races from divergent genetic lineages, Front. Plant Sci., 2017, vol. 20, no. 8, p. 1057. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2017.01057
3. Afzal, S.N., Ul-Haque, M.I. and Ahmedani, M.S., Assessment of yield losses caused by Puccinia striiformis triggering stripe rust in the most common wheat varieties, Pak. J. Bot., 2007, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 2127–2134.
4. Babaiants, L.T. and Chusovitina, N.M., Soft winter wheat variety resistance to yellow rust pathogen Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici in the South of Ukraine, Biul. Inst. Zern. Hospod., 2011, vol. 40, pp. 94–97.
5. Bansal, U.K., Forrest, K.L., Hayden, M.J., et al., Characterization of a new stripe rust resistance gene Yr47 and its genetic association with the leaf rust resistance gene Lr52, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2011, vol. 122, no. 8, pp. 1461–1466. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-011-1545-4
6. Bariana, H.S., Parry, N., Barclay, I.R., et al., Identification and characterization of stripe rust resistance gene Yr34 in common wheat, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2006, vol. 112, pp. 1143–1148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-006-0216-3
7. Liu, B., Xue, X, Cui, S., et al., Cloning and characterization of a wheat beta-1,3-glucanase gene induced by the stripe rust pathogen Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici, Mol. Biol. Rep., 2010, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 1045–1052. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-009-9823-9
8. Liu, L., Wang, M., Zhang, Z., et al., Identification of stripe rust resistance loci in U.S. spring wheat cultivars and breeding lines using genome-wide association mapping and Yr gene markers, Plant Dis., 2020. https://doi.org/10.1094/pdis-11-19-2402-re
9. Cheng, P. and Chen, X.M., Molecular mapping of a gene for stripe rust resistance in spring wheat cultivar IDO377s, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2010, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 195–204. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-010-1302-0
10. Dong, Y.L., Yin, C.T., Hulbert, S., et al., Cloning and expression analysis of three secreted protein genes from wheat stripe rust fungus Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici, World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 2011, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1261–1265. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-010-0565
11. Feng, J.Y., Wang, M.N., Chen, X.M., See, D.R., Zheng, Y.L., Chao, S.M., and Wan, A.M., Molecular mapping of YrSP and its relationship with other genes for stripe rust resistance in wheat chromosome 2BL, Phytopathology, 2015, vol. 105, no. 9, pp. 1206–1213. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-03-15-0060-R
12. Herrera-Foessel, S.A., Singh, R.P., Lillemo, M., et al., Lr67/Yr46 confers adult plant resistance to stem rust and powdery mildew in wheat, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2014, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 781–789. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-013-2256-9
13. Hovmoller, M.S., Walter, S., Bayles, R.A., et al., Replacement of the European wheat yellow rust population by new races from the centre of diversity in the near-Himalayan region, Plant Pathol., 2016, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 402–411. https://doi.org/10.1111/ppa.12433
14. Li, G.Q., Li, Z.F., Yang, W.Y., et al., Molecular mapping of stripe rust resistance gene YrCH42 in Chinese wheat cultivar Chuanmai 42 and its allelism with Yr24 and Yr26, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2006a, vol. 112, no. 8, pp. 1434–1440. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-006-0245
15. Li, Z.F., Zhang, T.C., He, Z.H., et al., Molecular tagging of stripe rust resistance gene YrZH84 in Chinese wheat line Zhou 8425B, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2006b, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 1098–1103. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-006-0211-8
16. Li, Y., Niu, Y.C., and Chen, X.M., Mapping a stripe rust resistance gene YrC591 in wheat variety C591 with SSR and AFLP markers, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2009, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 339–346. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-008-0903-3
17. Li, Q., Chen, X.M., Wang, M.N., et al., Yr45, a new wheat gene for stripe rust resistance on the long arm of chromosome 3D, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2011, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 189–197. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-010-1435-1
18. Lowe, I., Jankuloski, L., Chao, S.M., et al., Mapping and validation of QTL which confer partial resistance to broadly virulent post-2000 North American races of stripe rust in hexaploid wheat, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2011, vol. 123, pp. 143–157. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-011-1573-0
19. Luo, P.G., Hu, X.Y., Ren, Z.L., et al., Allelic analysis of stripe rust resistance genes on wheat chromosome 2BS, Genome, 2008, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 922–927. https://doi.org/10.1139/G08-079
20. Mert, Z., Nazari, K., Karagöz, E., et al., First incursion of the warrior race of wheat stripe rust (Puccinia striiformis f. sp. tritici) to Turkey in 2014, Plant Dis., 2016, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 528–528. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-07-15-0827-PDN
21. Nargan, T.P., Search for sources of resistance to leaf and stem diseases of bread winter wheat for use in breeding, Genet. Resur. Roslyn, 2015, no. 17, pp. 11–20.
22. Philomin, J., Prakash, S.R., Huerta, E.J., et al., Genome-wide mapping and allelic fingerprinting provide insights into the genetics of resistance to wheat stripe rust in India, Kenya and Mexico, Sci. Rep., 2020, vol. 10, art. 10908.https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-67874-x
23. Rosewarne, G.M., Herrera-Foessel, S.A., Singh, R.P., et al., Quantitative trait loci of stripe rust resistance in wheat, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2013, vol. 126, no. 10, pp. 2427–2449. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-013-2159-9
24. Sambrook, J. and David, W.R., Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor, 2001, vol. 2.
25. Singh, R., Datta, D., Priyamvada, et al., A diagnostic PCR based assay for stripe rust resistance gene in wheat, Acta Phytopathol. Entomol. Hung., 2009, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 11–18. https://doi.org/10.1556/aphyt.44.2009.1.2
26. Smith, P.H., Hadfield, J., Hart, N.J., et al., STS markers for the wheat yellow rust resistance gene Yr5 suggest a NBS-LRR-type resistance gene cluster, Genome, 2007, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 259–265. https://doi.org/10.1139/g07-004
27. Somers, D.J., Isaac, P., and Edwards, K., A high-density microsatellite consensus map for bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.), Theor. Appl. Genet., 2004, vol. 109, pp. 1105–1114. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-004-1740-7
28. Sui, X.X., Wang, M.N., and Chen, X., Molecular mapping of a stripe rust resistance gene in spring wheat cultivar ‘Zak,’ Phytopathology, 2009, vol. 99, pp. 1209–1215. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-99-10-1209
29. Topchii, T. and Morgyn, B., Yellow wheat rust, Propositsiya, 2019, vol. 1, pp. 120–122
30. Trybel, S.O., Getman, M.V., Strygun, O.O., et al., Metho-dology of Evaluation of Resistance of Wheat to Pests and Pathogens, Kyiv: Kolobig, 2010.
31. Uauy, C., Brevis, J.C., Chen, X., et al., High-temperature adult-plant (HTAP) stripe rust resistance gene Yr36 from Triticum turgidum ssp. dicoccoides is closely linked to the grain protein content locus Gpc-B1, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2005, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 97–105. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-005-0109-x
32. Walter, S., Ali, S., Kemen, E., et al., Molecular markers for tracking the origin and worldwide distribution of invasive strains of Puccinia striiformis, Ecol. Evol., 2016, vol. 6, pp. 2790–2804. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.2069/abstract
33. Wang, X., Tang, C., Deng, L., et al., Characterization of a pathogenesis-related traumatic-like protein gene TaPR5 from wheat induced by stripe rust fungus, Physiol. Plant., 2009, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 27–38. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.13993054.2009.01338.x
34. Weng, D.X., Xu, S.C., Lin, R.M., et al., Microsatellite marker linked with stripe rust resistant gene Yr9 in wheat, Acta Genet. Sin., 2016, vol. 32, pp. 937–941.
35. Xia, X., Li, Z., Li, G., et al., Stripe rust resistance in Chinese bread wheat cultivars and lines, Dev. Plant Breed., 2007, vol. 12, pp. 77–82.
36. Xia, N., Zhang, G., Liu, X.Y., et al., Characterization of a novel wheat NAC transcription factor gene involved in defense response against stripe rust pathogen infection and abiotic stresses, Mol. Biol. Rep., 2010, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 3703–3712. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-010-0023-4
37. Xie, C.J., Sun, Q., Ni, Z., et al., Chromosomal location of a Triticum dicoccoides-derived powdery mildew resistance gene in common wheat by using microsatellite markers, Theor. Appl. Genet., 2003, vol. 106, pp. 341–345. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-002-1022-1
38. Zhang, Yi, Zhang, G., Xia, N., et al., Cloning and characterization of a bZIP transcription factor gene in wheat and its expression in response to stripe rust pathogen infection and abiotic stresses, Physiol. Mol. Plant Pathol., 2008, vol. 73, nos. 4–5, pp. 88–94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmpp.2009.02.002
|Coded & Designed by Volodymyr Duplij||Modified 24.03.23|